What was The Pitch like?

Becoming recognised as one of the UK's greatest small businesses within a year of launch

That's a line I'm pretty proud of right there, because it wasn't one easily achieved. When Hire an Artist made it into the Top 100 of The Pitch 2015 I was pretty damn happy and supercharged! But when I got the news I made it into the Top 30 of The Pitch 2015 I cheered and jumped from my chair in excitement! This was a totally new achievement, it would mean standing before a 300+ audience among 29 other of the UK's greatest small-businesses!

And let me tell you, that was something! 

So with that being said, let me give a talk on my experience which took me to Bristol to compete at The Pitch 2015 Final. 

The workshops

Tamsin Fox-Davies (AKA The Fox) delivering a '12 month email marketing strategy' for Constant Contact
Throughout the day we had several workshops and 1-2-1's to join. I wanted to make the most of these and attended as many as I could. I wasn't disappointed. Each session had given valuable advice which you can instantly apply to your own business. Some, such as Constant Contact, even provided tools for our businesses. The 12 month email marketing strategy for example! This tool in particular has helped me plan out months ahead of time my marketing campaign, right down to the kind of content I should be using. Combining this alongside the knowledge we were given to use technology and data effectively, should make for a considerably strong marketing campaign!

The 1-2-1's 

Neil Dagger (AKA The Sword) from .UK giving me a 1-2-1
Just as, if not more, useful than the workshops, the 1-2-1s are absolutely top notch! You come prepared with your questions and you'll have an expert happy to answer all of them and ensure you fully understand what you came in not knowing. In some cases they come prepared and do background research on your company to provide in-depth advice! This for me was my favourite part of the 1-2-1s. It was personal, relaxed, fun and I completely understood everything that I needed to know to develop my company in the particular area that was covered; Web development, finance, sales etc.

The big moment!

Palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy...
When it was finally my time on-stage, after all the nerves rising from the waiting, it was a great feeling. I took my moment and although I forgot a verse and lacked talk on traction, I smashed it! 3 minute pitch done! I look back on this photo and think about my first experience pitching my business in a presentation style at a Business Masterclass 'Dragon's Den' style competition. Incredibly nervous, worried about every possible thing there was to worry about. But I knew I had to step up, step out of my comfort zone and just do it! Talking to that 300+ audience, I didn't feel nearly as nervous as I did back then and for that I'm incredibly happy. I'm developing as a person!

What an experience it was! 

The feelings of it all!

To summarise, in my terrible writing style, it was an unforgettable experience and something I would gladly do again and again. There is an overwhelming amount of benefits you can gain from an experience like this, be it practically applied for a business, be it mentally applied to your own development as a person. Coming out of that event a better person and business is guaranteed!

Let's see what 2016 brings shall we?

This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply