In the run up to our relaunch I'd like to share with you one of the stories of the people we've worked with. See we've had some truly amazing stories in the past, and it's been to our own disadvantage not to share them with you - because there really has been so many beautiful stories now.
Ben came to us sometime late in July asking for a portrait of his wife for an anniversary present and the details he added really struck out at me. Particularly because he was requesting such a specific artistic style; in the style of Giovanni Boldini. And this excited me because at the time we didn't have any artists that could work in such a style, and this meant discovering talent! I had a great time discovering more art and while I'm sure there are plenty of artists capable of such a style, I found a limited no. and recommended an artist to get in contact with.
While he chose a different artist, he emailed me sometime after with pictures of her reaction with the portrait, saying "she was over the moon". I realise I don't take much involvement in the process, but when I get these kind of emails, it's a great feeling.
I really enjoyed writing this post, so if you enjoyed reading it, I'd love to share more stories with you :)
But for now...
This is Ben's story...
Could you tell me a little about yourself?
I am 42 and work in retail sales. No real formal education on art, I became interested in it after seeing the documentary "the art of the steal". I hope to see the Barnes foundation in Philadelphia soon. I also became fascinated with books and movies about art forgers. As someone that can't draw at all, the skill to perfectly recreate art is almost a foreign concept to me.
How long have you been married?
My wife and I were married a little over one year ago. We have been together for five years. She is the best woman I have ever met. Smart, beautiful, successful, and very very supportive. (Terrible cook though. Absolutely horrendous).
How important is she to you?
My wife is the most important thing in my life. I am very fortunate to have found someone that has the same values and beliefs as me.
...to the point of why I started this portrait for her...one of our shared values is on personal finance. We both believe in living BELOW our means of income. We believe a paid off home, savings, and retirement are far more important then a 5,000 sq ft house, new leased car, and dinner out every night.
Financial problems are the #1 reason for divorce today. I think Facebook is #2 so do yourself a favor and get off that site too.
So, knowing our aptitude for not wasting money, gift giving between us is more about creativity and thoughtfulness than it is about price. What could be better than a custom painting of her on our wedding day?
 |
| Portrait by Ivan 'WhiskeyPaint' Rubashkin in the style of Giovani Boldini - http://whiskypaint.deviantart.com/ |
Why Giovanni Boldini?
Giovanni Boldini became one of my favorite artists after I read an article a few years ago about a discovery of one of his paintings being found in an apartment in Paris that has been unused for decades. I have three copies of his works in my house. My favorite is "the guitar player".
 |
| 'A Guitar Player' 1873 - Giovanni Boldini |
You mentioned to me about perhaps getting various artists doing different versions of this same photo, why this photo in particular?
 |
| "She just looked so perfectly happy in that photo...completely relaxed and enjoying yourself" |
I had been kicking around the idea of making a portrait of my wife from a picture I had taken on my phone after our wedding and before the reception. It is of her, sitting in a sofa, in her beautiful wedding dress, with the burlap flower boutique her sister had made on her lap, with a glass of wine. She just looked so perfectly happy in that photo. I see the stress of the wedding is off her shoulders and she is completely relaxed and enjoying herself.
I have seen a lot of portraits done by Boldini of women on sofas. So I immediately thought this photo, done in a Boldini style would be a fantastic gift.
How did she react when she saw the gift?
For our first anniversary, we spent a few days in a small cabin up in the mountains to get away. Nothing fancy, just us, the dog, books and music. We had agreed to not get each other gifts this year. I told her on the trip I had gotten her a gift and it should be arriving when we got back home.
When we got home, I had her sit and cover her eyes. I asked her if I had ever shown her the photo from the wedding. (I guess I did. She had seen it before). I then put the painting in her hands and she opened her eyes. She was basically speechless for a minute. She had no idea how I could have even managed to create it. She said the next house we live in is going to be built around that painting!
 |
| "the next house we live in is going to be built around that painting!" |
What would you say to others thinking about getting similar gifts for their loved ones?
Reactions to that painting from friends and family have been amazing. Many people want to do the same for their wives. Seriously, a portrait like this will stay in our family forever.
It has been so successful in fact I want to try to have the same photo done in different styles as an anniversary gift every year.
Although I doubt any other portrait will ever become her favorite.