Revisiting old plans

Today I had been working on the Artist of the day campaign, artist marketing, dealt with all emails, re-writing a short form business plan and of course wrote this blog. The Artist of the day campaign backlog wasn't really developed today, only found one artist that really stuck out to me personally. The campaign itself seems to be working though, post reach has jumped up to 40.....but jumped to 140 with the help of 2 friends! It's the third highest post reach that's been achieved, just behind 279 and 306. The power of friends is awesome. I don't quite yet know how well maintaining a high post reach will improve user engagement (Which is the main social networking objective right now), but I'll nevertheless endeavor to keep it high because it obviously helps to spread the word about the company. The more people know the better!

Next, artist marketing. Well today I saw some rather bizarre stuff! Project flesh in particular was undoubtedly the strangest, it was exploring a twisted perception on sexuality and sexual acts. I don't know the best way to describe it but there were various extremely graphic 'gore-like' exhibitions depicting fellatio and other sexual acts. I've been quite a lot of bizarre artwork along these lines of sexuality but ones like this particularly strike me into such a "Wtf?" state. Still, I sent this particular artist an e-mail like any other, commented on the artwork that I genuinely loved to see and carried on. It's not that I don't appreciate it as art or anything, it's simply not my taste. Can't wait till tomorrow to do it all over again! Perhaps less of the bizarre next time though.

So next I dealt with all my emails, no replies from any artists recently, I guess yesterday's emails to artists either didn't make it past spam filters or they're laying in an inbox of a 'Zombie' artist. If you aren't already familiar with this term, it's the term I use for an artist who has quit artistry but the remnants of their career are left behind; portfolios, contact details etc.. So I end up emailing somebody will never very likely never read my email, because they've taken up a job which pays the bills consistently. Sadly this is too common. But, from an optimistic point of view, perhaps my e-mails are sitting in the inbox of active artists and are just waiting to be read! All I know for sure is I have 3 new likes this week and that's just great!

Lastly, the short form business plan. Need to work on this to be submitted for the competition, I believe it needs to be sent in by the 17th in 2 days. So a deadline to meet, going to work all day tomorrow to get it finished. I've actually already got a short-form business ready from months ago, it just needs updating, revising and refining the match the context of the competition. I was doing this today though (Not finished by the way) and I was reading back on my old full business plan. A gorgeous 17 page plan totaling at 7,536 words. Man, I had everything down to a T on that plan! Everything is perfectly written on it and literally everything is covered. This was written in the days where I had loads of free time, I obviously used my time incredibly productively to produce this beauty of a business plan. But as I said, I was reading this back and thinking that I've seriously lost my way when I compare myself to this plan, to who I was when I wrote that plan too. I've lost my way from this plan and also the person who wrote it.

The person was a meticulous planner, who had everything down, predicted every possible outcome and problem and had a solution for it. The plan he made was perfect and works beautifully on paper. The flaw though? It's not reality; paper isn't reality and not all plans go to plan. I'm looking at this business plan and it runs on the basis I secured £10,000 to finance the company. I worked relentlessly to try and finance this company but as a student with no experience, a crappy CV and to be frank nothing special that makes me anything more than some chump trying to get rich. The plan reflects this, no matter how perfect it is.

The flaw in myself at my current stage though? Perhaps a paradox but I didn't follow the plan. I read this business plan now and it's a stranger to me, a lot of I know and remember but there's plenty of little things which alienate me from being totally familiar with it all. But to get back on point and explain why this is my flaw, it's a problem because had I stuck closer to the plan (And I'm not talking about the £10,000 start-up capital), things would be a lot more different. I think I'll cut short the explanations though as it's 00:35 and I've got to get up early tomorrow!

Oh on a last note, business partner hadn't messaged me all day yesterday as I expected him to. Seems he's wasted an entire Saturday doing nothing while I've worked most of the day (I should really express the word 'Seems' though, I obviously don't know what he's been up to). Anyway not good! He had a fairly easy thing to do, but I won't judge....unless he doesn't give a good explanation. Which he likely will, especially if he reads my blog. Oh the joys of long distance!


This entry was posted in . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply